29.4.08

Kheper aegyptiorum

The whole tone of this post sounds more like something Jen would write on her blog (because it's about the kids, and speaks in that matter-of-fact-aren't-they-so-cute tone I usually abhor) but I must say that Quaid is a chip off the old block.

At dinner the other day, Jen was asking all of us to make some resolutions or state things about ourselves that we were going to try and work on. Completely missing the point (or making a mockery of the whole affair, I prefer to think) Quaid announced that he was resolved to doing research on dung beetles. Now clearly this is something straight out of my own playbook. Actually, the dung beetle is quite fascinating (and cute). I helped him research them on the Internet, and he's giving a show-and-tell talk about them tomorrow.




Hail to the dung beatle!

4 comments:

Scott Smith said...

Reminds me of the assignment given by the jerky principal in Breakfast Club...

RDW said...

"Among shamanic societies, there are series of myths relating the creation of world to beetles. In some Indian tribes from the Chaco (South America), a big scarab named Aksak modeled man and woman from clay. Thus, the scarab, who shapes dung into balls, is identified as potter..."

Jennifer should like this....

Jen Mecca said...

yes..I knew some how the word DUNG would come back once again to me. (Clay...poo...it all looks the same..)
There is no way I will keep my son free and clear of "potty-talk" as I like to call it. Poo, farts, talk of dung beetles and any functions of the body are part of his DNA. ( Not from my side of gene pool I might add...) I might as well give up.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan - I like that. I do recall reading that they were held in reverenc by the Egytptians, who somehow equated the rolling dung ball with the sun moving across the sky.