23.3.08

Happy Easter

Hello - we had a great Easter weekend. My mother and my sister Cindy came down to visit. We had an Easter egg hunt after church, and then Jen's parents came over and joined us for brunch. I made most of the stuff from a recent brunch menu in Gourmet magazine. Check this spread - we had a small honey-glazed baked ham, low country breakfast shrimp with creamy stone-ground grits, slow-roasted tomatoes, ambrosia, baked pimento-cheese toasts, a salad of winter lettuce with warm sweet and sharp dressing, eggs with cream and spinach, buttermilk biscuits and sugared blackberries. For desert there was bourbon pecan tart with homemade whipped cream. Cindy brought a Rodney Strong chardonnay, that was also good.

With respect to last week's political events..I, like most Americans, was disturbed to hear the paranoid ravings of Obama's lunatic former pastor. As far as I'm concerned, that dude might as well be wearing a Klan outfit. I realize that those words didn't come from Obama's mouth, and nothing in his personality indicates that he holds those same hateful views - but it does speak to the man's judgment. Good God, I wouldn't let my daughters sit through that kind of garbage every Sunday.

Like I said earlier, I had already sort of switched back to Hillary's side before this pastor stuff came out. It looking more and more likely, however, that the die has already been cast in favor of Obama. Talk about a worst case scenario - he may well enter the convention on a downward trajectory, while Hillary is on the way up, but can't secure the nomination. So he enters the general election broken and bloody. All the while, McCain is out there looking presidential. If the Democrats manage to screw this one up, they might as well dissolve the party - it's over.

1 comment:

Scott Smith said...

I still have deep psychological scars from the 2000 election. This whole thing is making me neurotic.